Pilton Methodist Church
Top Street, Pilton BA4 4DU
Service Time 11.00am
Methodism at Pilton dates back to 1794 with the present building opening in 1849; with the 150th Anniversary celebrated on the 23rd May 1999.
The Sunday School room is used by the local Pre-School, which operates five days a week.
Members of the congregation volunteer on a rota system to undertake various duties within the Church, i.e. Reception at morning services, readers, vestry prayer, flowers and chapel cleaning. This has proved to be a very successful arrangement encouraging members to be involved and feel part of the Church.
Coffee Evenings are held to raise money for the National Children’s Home, Crisis and Christian Aid.
Members of the congregation take part in the annual NCH house-to-house collection in October.
Pilton Methodists have built up strong links with the members of the Anglican Parish Church and are part of a team called Pilton Churches Working Together (PCWT). Each team comprises of the Superintendent Minister and 4/5 members of the congregation and the Vicar and 4/5 members of the Church congregation. The team arranges United Services, which are held on the 3rd Sunday of the month in the Methodist Church and Parish Church alternately.
In January the Parish Church join us for our Covenant Service, we support each other’s Harvest Festivals and in November we join together for Remembrance Sunday. A United Village Candlelit Carol Service is held in the Chapel each year. This is a very popular service and is always well supported by the local community.
A new extension was completed in 2020, and is called ‘The New Room’. It is intended to be used by the community as well as our church. It will be a Coffee Shop in the mornings, which opened on the 26th October, and a meeting room for hire in the afternoon and evenings.
The New Room Coffee Shop is run by volunteers and a third of the income being donated to good causes nominated by the volunteers.
Mondays to Saturdays – 8.30am to 12.00 mid-day.
The name Pilton means settlement on the stream or lake. According to a Charter of 705 Pilton was in the possession of Glastonbury Abbey. By Doomsday, Pilton had grown into a sizeable community of 330 persons. The main activity in the Parish has always been farming, although from the mid-seventeenth century until the early 19th Century the village took part in the cloth making industry. The 14th Century Abbey Barn is the Largest of the Glastonbury Abbey Barns. At one time there were two Chapels in Pilton. The Ebenezer Chapel, which was originally a Bible Christian Chapel situated on Benleigh Road, and was closed in 1968. Pilton Village School was closed at roughly the same time and the children go by bus to West Pennard School, about 3 miles away.
The Glastonbury Festival is held at Pilton, and the founder of the event is a member of are